Performing in an ethical manner is at the core of Nestlé’s business approach. Upholding strong ethical principles, not only in our direct business, but also throughout our entire value chain, is fundamental to how we operate. It underpins the trust our consumers have in us as well as our license to operate.
We work to foster the ‘do the right thing for the right reason’ mindset throughout the organization. Everyone at Nestlé contributes to Creating Shared Value, making our activities and operations more efficient and enhancing our competitive advantage, by reinforcing our reputation.
Our values: rooted in respect
- Respect for ourselves. Respect starts with each of us, with self-respect and being true to ourselves, then acting with integrity, fairness and authenticity.
- Respect for others. Respect for the people around us and all those we interact with creates a climate of mutual trust. This is about taking pride in living up to what we promise. It is about the quality of our products, of our brands and in everything we do.
- Respect for diversity. Respect for other ways of thinking, other cultures and all facets of society requires openness and inclusiveness in all our interactions, both inside and outside our company.
- Respect for the future. Respect for the world’s future and the generations who follow us compels us to act with responsibility and courage, even where this is difficult.
Respect has a special and powerful meaning at Nestlé. It profoundly influences the way we work and run our business. Our values are visible in our behaviors, our actions and our decisions.Mark Schneider, CEO, Nestlé
Bribery and corruption negatively impact both company performance and stakeholders’ perceptions. We do not tolerate deception, bribery, corruption, breach of confidence or abuse of power of any kind, and we have made a public commitment to ensure a culture of integrity across the Group.
This includes our zero tolerance for fraud, bribery and corruption, our stringent efforts to protect personal data and our public policies. Our company values guide our efforts, while our Corporate Business Principles and Code of Business Conduct clearly set out our responsibilities.
Recognizing that these issues can, and occasionally do, arise in some markets, we aim to ensure that our commitments, policies and standards for combating bribery and corruption are clear, applicable to all employees, suppliers and customers, and widely communicated and understood. We set out our position on these issues in our Code of Business Conduct, Appendix on Anti-Corruption (pdf, 2Mb).
Data protection and privacy
The changing regulatory landscape
We continue to anticipate and respond to consumer expectations, guard against data security threats and adapt to the changing regulatory landscape.
The Nestlé Privacy Program
We collect, store and use data to engage with consumers and to deliver innovative services, which makes protecting personal data of paramount importance to us. Consumers, employees, vendors, suppliers and investors all expect us to adhere to the highest standards of privacy and security.
All Nestlé Group Companies comply with Nestlé’s Privacy Program, which is based on internationally recognized privacy principles. Our Privacy Program will continue to evolve to accommodate changes in the regulatory landscape.
We have more than 60?data protection champions worldwide, who are responsible for overseeing the Nestlé Privacy Program in their countries and regions.
Throughout 2019, we also participated in a range of multi-stakeholder groups to keep abreast of data protection developments and issues, including developments in AI and data ethics, and to promote and advocate for better data privacy and security. We will continue with our efforts in this area.
Contributing to industry affairs guidelines around the world
Due to the size, diversity and global presence of our operations, we are involved in many industry and trade organizations at all levels across our regions. Nestlé’s involvement in these bodies requires subject matter expertise, committed resources, and strategic coordination and alignment across our business.
Our internal guidelines, which were extensively updated in 2017, help markets make industry contributions in ways that align with our corporate strategy. They provide a structured approach to industry affairs and specific recommendations for employees, guiding them in:
- Understanding the industry landscape and the role of Nestlé as an industry leader in these organizations.
- Identifying and setting priorities and selecting the relevant industry and trade organizations to deliver desired outcomes.
- Developing rules of engagement with these organizations and promoting good governance.